A Nurse Practitioners Note on The Flu
What is the flu?
- Influenza is a viral illness that impacts the entire body.
- Can last over a week. Usually people fully recover, but it can be fatal.
- The illness has a quick onset of fever, cough, headache, body aches, fatigue, stuffy nose, sore throat, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- It is spread by droplets in the air or by touching a contaminated surface and then touching your face.
PROTECT your family from the flu:
- Get the flu vaccine. Younger children are at higher risk for complications from the flu.
- Teach kids to cover their cough.
- Frequent and through hand washing.
- The flu vaccine decreases your chance of getting the flu.
- If you still get the flu after vaccination, symptoms may be less severe.
- If you're vaccinated, you help protect others!
- Being vaccinated decreases rate of hospitalization and death from flu.
- NEVER GIVE A CHILD ASPIRIN
- DO NOT GIVE COUGH OR COLD MEDICINE TO CHILDREN UNDER 4 YEARS OLD
- ANY CHILD UNDER 3 MONTHS OLD WHO HAS A FEVER NEEDS TO SEE APROVIDER IMMEDIATELY
- BEFORE GIVING TYLENOL OR IBUPROFEN, CONFIRM IT IS THE RIGHT DOSE FOR YOUR CHILD'S AGE AND WEIGHT
We are entering flu season. If your child hasn't been vaccinated yet, you can stop by and get their flu shot here at ICAN Pediatrics!
References: 1. American Academy of Pediatrics. The Flu. https://patiented.solutions.aap.org/handout.aspx?resultClick=1&gbosid=166301. Updated 2008. Accessed October 29, 2018. 2. American Academy of Pediatrics. Cough and Cold Medicine—Not for Children. https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/aap-press-room-media-center/Pages/Cough-and-Cold-Medicine-Not-for-Children.aspx. Updated 2018. Accessed October 29, 2018. 3. CDC. Protecting Against Influenza (Flu): Advice for Caregivers of Young Children. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/infantcare.htm. Updated September 7, 2018. Accessed October 30, 2018. 4. HealthyChildren.org. The Flu. https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/chest-lungs/Pages/The-Flu.aspx. Updated September 7, 2017. Accessed October 29, 2018.