Beginner ages 4-6
The Beginner Social Skills Group is for children ages 4-6 years old.
We use Michelle Garcia Winner's We Thinkers! Volume 1 to teach social skills in a play-based setting. This engaging new Social Thinking educational series combines a social learning framework used in schools across the U.S. with music and dramatic play activities that will appeal to early learners. Play is the learning environment of young children, and this curriculum capitalizes on this idea!
We also use The Zones of Regulation, a systematic cognitive behavioral approach used to teach self-regulation by categorizing the different ways we feel and states of alertness into four concrete zones. In the Beginner Group, we focus on:
- Introduction of the four Zones
- Familiarization with Zones vocabulary
- Identifying different emotions
What do we do?
- Toy Free Play and Board Games
- Motor Room Free Play
- Table Time:
- Table Time: Zones of Regulation
- Structured Activity/Game
- Prizes and Check-out
Is my child ready for Beginner Social Skills Group?
If your child has a handle on verbal language and can follow group direction with occasional support, he or she is ready to be evaluated for Social Skills Group!
- Weekly data collection on individuals and groups
- Two progress notes per quarter
- Progress note at the end of the quarter with future recommendations